Is Borris’ demise the kick-start that this country needs to actually deal with this COVID19 pandemic?

Anything you want to get off your chest / discuss
rugmuncher

Re: Is Borris’ demise the kick-start that this country needs to actually deal with this COVID19 pandemic?

Post by rugmuncher » Sat May 23, 2020 6:41 pm

It's far too easy to blame the Government for everything and I'll be the first to admit they have fucked up but I'm not ignoring the fuck ups made by NHS managers which have nothing to do with the Government.
Government set a framework and a budget that trusts have to work within.
Working within that framework money is simply wasted which gives the Government an excuse. "Why should we give you more money when you waste what you have?"

In the examples of waste I've given it has been mismanagement on the part of NHS Trusts not the Government or any Quango telling them "oh don't worry about collecting 150 million quid from non eligible foreign nationals" If wasting money was a direct result of Government or Quango intervention then it would be uniform across NHS Trusts and its not.
The NHS deserves more funding but its managers also needs to deliver value for money.
In the examples relating to prisons probation transport universities they aren't areas where Government are centralising power it's where they are relinquishing public responsibility and handing control to private companies which is another argument.
To make public services work you need to raise sufficient taxes. Look at Denmark and other Scandinadian countries everyone pays a much higer rate of tax tjan we in the UK.
Individuals and companies pay up to 60% of their earnings they receive free education free health & social care unemployement benefits and retirement benefits based on 80% of their income.
Here the wealthiest pay the least tax and no Government has had the stomach to change the system.
Examples of Tory policies eroding public services have been quoted. Labour's answer is to increase borrowing and suggest we increase tax levels for the wealthiest to 50%.
Many of the wealthiest are paying less than 5% if anything at all who in their right mind thinks they will pay 50% unless radical reforms to Tax Laws are made? If Tax Laws are rewritten under any Government who gets a finger in the pie? Consultants from the big Accounting firms who have a vested interest in keeping it complicated so they can earn huge fees helping the richest avoid liabilities.
Of the thousands that have quit the NHS what do you imagine the reasons are?
Working Conditions ? Which has been impacted by Government policy.
Pay? Again maonly due to Government Policy.
If the majority were purely money motivated they wouldn't work in the NHS. So there's another reason and that's because they feel undervalued. Not in terms of what they are paid but how they are treated by the people who manage them in the workplace. It doesn't cost the Trust or Government anything for a manager to say "you did great today well done"
They see first hand the incompetence of some NHS Trust managers employed by the Trusts not the Government.
I'm angry that the Government doesn't do more for the NHS I'm angrier that those in the NHS don't do more to ensure the resources they have are used to better effect!
The agency nurse earning 30 quid an hour wanted to do what she was qualified for it wasn't Government policy preventing her it was Trust policy and mismanagement.
It didn't need Government intervention to resolve, a few hours being shadowed by a senior nurse to establish her qualifications and competency would have sorted the problem out.
Imagine you are a nurse working nights with responsibility for 3 wards having to assume responsibility for 3 more because the agency nurse isn't allowed to supervise the issue of medication. Are you going to blame Boris or those who hired her without making sure she could do what she was being paid to do.
In the case of the laptops that had to be repaired that was "Trust Policy" not Government policy. From a practical viewpoint nurses had to work with equipment that kept breaking down and making their job harder. Some NHS manager decided it would be more cost effective to repair rather thsn replace them HE WAS WRONG and in the process caused hassle and distress to staff and patients as well as wasting thousands of pounds.
In the case of the car park v scanners. Someone was ready to sign off on the spending £300,000 to replace scanners that were working fine on the advice of the scanner supplier until ine of the IT teccies identified the problem wasn't the scanners but the computers used to operate the scanners.
The supplier said we will replace the computers and quoted an extortionate price. When the hospital queried that they were told "you have to buy from us or we won't maintain the system" instead of holding a stewards enquiry as to why they nearly spent 450 grand they didn't need to they gave the guy who spent 3 imes more than the retail price for 3 computers!
The same situation arose at another hospital they told the scanner supplier to piss off and resolved the issue by buying a single computer and installing it between the scanners and their network. It didn't interfrere with any of the equipment supplied by the scanner supplier so they couldn't claim "you have voided any warranties".
You buy a piece of kit you pay thousands of pounds a year for maintenance contract you pay an "in house" team of professionals to look after various areas of the business and they don't do the job.
I know..no problem let's blame in to the Government.
It simply doesn't wash. The NHS issues need to be addressed from the inside and the outside and blame apportioned where it is due!
Condominium

Re: Is Borris’ demise the kick-start that this country needs to actually deal with this COVID19 pandemic?

Post by Condominium » Sat May 23, 2020 10:49 pm

Thanks Rugmuncher.

I’m afraid I stand by the view that the one who sets the rules and dishes out the cash (the Govt) is ultimately responsible.

Small digression into prisons...system used to be run by experienced screws who knew the prisoners and kept the pot from boiling over. Govt says let’s reduce costs by bringing in efficient private sector contractors like G4S who conveniently submit low bid to prove Govt’s decision is a sound one and offers ‘value for money’ (yawn).

2-3 years later... prisons in crisis, suicides at record levels as prisoner supervision declines after experienced screws replaced by cheap agency staff. Result: G4S asks for more cash to fix the problem, duly granted by Gove/Grayling.., but problem out of control so contract taken back into public control and Govt starts expensive re-recruitment of experienced screws.

You’d say the problem was with the prison service. I’d say it’s 100% Govt’s fault.
punter1

Post by punter1 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:57 am

Boris claimed we should get £350 million a week for leaving the EU. Where is that money? These cunts keep on taking us for idiots.
snowmichael

Post by snowmichael » Sun May 24, 2020 9:48 am

punter1 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:57 am
Boris claimed we should get £350 million a week for leaving the EU. Where is that money? These cunts keep on taking us for idiots.
We haven't fully left yet - still paying that £350m/week to the EU
Not that I think we're going to see it all going to the NHS after December...
snowmichael

Post by snowmichael » Sun May 24, 2020 9:50 am

Private care homes, where it's looking more and more likely the bulk of deaths will occur, are not run or financed (directly) by the govt
Their profit-taking owners are responsible for not supplying adequate PPE to their staff - but the govt gets blamed for that, too
CPbare1

Post by CPbare1 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:36 am

@rugmuncher

people go the agency route to avoid a load of company bollocks. Agency staff dont have to do appraisals, dont have to put up with a wheedling team leader asking them to stay for a bit, unpaid - agency staff just keep charging.
feel like a week off? no having to negotiate with a manager trying to shuffle rotas.
You can also turn down work at places that are crap.
And when you are done, you just go home. No deep responsibility. go in, do your shift, take the cash and fuck off.
money can be better too. but there are risks of being out of work.

i have been agency (not medical) since 1995. Full time job? no ta

i have a manager come to me at a client site asking if i would like a full time job. he was gob smacked I wasnt interested. he thought people did agency work between 'proper jobs' . er..no. its a lifestyle choice.
Condominium

Post by Condominium » Sun May 24, 2020 1:14 pm

snowmichael wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:50 am
Private care homes, where it's looking more and more likely the bulk of deaths will occur, are not run or financed (directly) by the govt
Their profit-taking owners are responsible for not supplying adequate PPE to their staff - but the govt gets blamed for that, too
Govt advice in the important early days when infections were ramping up was to wash your hands (or in Boris’s case, shake a few). They explicitly said that masks (PPE) made little difference as well as advising Care home owners that the risk of cases from people transferring into homes was minimal.
snowmichael

Post by snowmichael » Sun May 24, 2020 10:49 pm

Condominium wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:14 pm
Govt advice in the important early days when infections were ramping up was to wash your hands (or in Boris’s case, shake a few). They explicitly said that masks (PPE) made little difference as well as advising Care home owners that the risk of cases from people transferring into homes was minimal.
DoH (specifically MHRA) advice was to have 12 man-days of PPE on hand per full time staff member for all care homes
I know, because while they were my client in 2015/6 I wrote the advice, cobbled together from about 6 conflicting and overlapping guides

Two years later, only a tiny proportion (I was told 4%, but can't verify that) of private homes followed that advice vs (again, no verification seen) 80% of council-run homes
Bigheavyballs

Post by Bigheavyballs » Sun May 24, 2020 11:41 pm

snowmichael wrote:
The same government that has been promising to sort out the care sector for years but always bottles it due to the costs involved.
snowmichael

Post by snowmichael » Mon May 25, 2020 9:55 am

Bigheavyballs wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:41 pm
snowmichael wrote:
The same government that has been promising to sort out the care sector for years but always bottles it due to the costs involved.
Every government of every colour and stripe has promised that and bottled it

Return to “Banter”