Punting and Covid-19

Anything you want to get off your chest / discuss
Cuntlover

Re: Punting and Covid-19

Post by Cuntlover » Thu May 21, 2020 4:33 pm

I have no sympathy for people who die from covid if the break the lockdown rules. do you?

if you think there should be no lockdown then less people will die overall?
Marmite

Post by Marmite » Thu May 21, 2020 5:32 pm

Do I have sympathy for people who die as a result of breaking the lockdown rules - that depends on how and why they broke them. A lot of people are finding this lockdown incredibly difficult.

I'm not saying there shouldnt be a lockdown, I just think that it was started 2 weeks too late. Nobody knows at the moment how many excess deaths will result from the economic crash. History will be the judge.
Cuntlover

Post by Cuntlover » Thu May 21, 2020 6:31 pm

i think there is no need for lockdown if the governmentblocked everyone untested into the country and quarantined as soon as they heard about this virus spreading.

it would have been far cheaper and beneficial to block all borders and quarantine anyone trying to get in.

the cost of not blocking is tens of thousands of lives and major blow to the economy and lives. cost of blocking and quarantining in batches of 1000 or as many as available accommodation is able to (makeshift hotels) far outweighs what we are experiencing now.
Meshari

Post by Meshari » Thu May 21, 2020 10:35 pm

Cuntlover wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:31 pm
i think there is no need for lockdown if the governmentblocked everyone untested into the country and quarantined as soon as they heard about this virus spreading.

it would have been far cheaper and beneficial to block all borders and quarantine anyone trying to get in.

the cost of not blocking is tens of thousands of lives and major blow to the economy and lives. cost of blocking and quarantining in batches of 1000 or as many as available accommodation is able to (makeshift hotels) far outweighs what we are experiencing now.
Totally agree with the sentiment.

That being said, I think it's a bit more complex to manage than that - it's easy to forget that the WHO right up until late Feb early March "continued to advise against" any restrictions that would negatively impact international trade or free movement of people..
https://www.who.int/news-room/articles- ... 9-outbreak
Press in Australia also published stories that indicated countries did want to bring in travel restrictions earlier, but the WHO blocked dissenting voices.

lots of attempts, in many places, to bring in restrictions earlier were shot down... the US attempted to bring in border restrictions very early on...American Airlines pilots actually filed a lawsuit (in January? I think) attempting to restrict travel via China. They were attacked, comments in the MSM included accusations of racist..Trump loving white supremacist.. yada yada.
Similar in Italy - a Dr. Georgio Palu appeared on the news and said they attempted to bring in restrictions much earlier, but were shot down as racist and xenophobic.

Over here - as migrants landed daily from France, I believe an MP raised a question in the Commons a couple of months ago about whether they would be quarantined, again this was seen as unacceptable & non-diverse; Police in the east midlands reported at least 1 arrest for perpetrating a racially aggravated hate crime, for the offence of criticizing border security.

And of course, it was reported the other day that the EU is now suing us because our lock-down impinged on total freedom of movement!
MassageMan

Post by MassageMan » Fri May 22, 2020 1:27 pm

As far as I can see everyone who says we should stay in lockdown to prevent deaths have no clear plan, it is head in the sand thinking.

To all the people who think we should stay in lockdown to prevent deaths, can you please clearly explain to me the following:
1) Where will the money come from to pay for the NHS, furlough salaries, public service salaries and everything else needed to keep the country running?
2) What is your plan for non-Covid patients who are in need of medical treatment but are not being seen now?
3) If we keep lockdown and other countries do not, how to you propose to deal with travel between the two countries? Do we simply close all borders and live in a bubble isolated from the whole world?
ChasB

Post by ChasB » Fri May 22, 2020 2:05 pm

As this progresses it appears the lockdown will ease and we will all be required to make changes to how we behave in public. The physical distancing measures are going to be with us for some time and we will all be doing things differently. There will also be levels of risk that people are prepared to take to go out their business and personally if I do not need to do something as it reduces the risk of catching C19 then that's the approach I will take. For example, going to football matches (although that's probably not anytime soon) travelling on public transport, shaking hands with strangers, going into the office and of course meeting SA girls.

I accept that this will be a personal choice for everyone, not just people on this forum but for the country. However, my opinion is that if you really don't NEED to do something then don't do it as it helps to slow the infection rate and keep the R below 1
LondonSexParty

Post by LondonSexParty » Fri May 22, 2020 2:36 pm

Hopefully the new behaviours we've all become used to - general social distancing, handwashing (unbelievable that THAT took a pandemic), better general hygiene, reduced travel, face masks - will keep it under control post lockdown. If events with large numbers like Cheltenham etc are stricted until we have better treatment or even a vaccine, then a return to a relatively normal life shouldn't be a problem. We've managed to get through the worst of it without overwhelming the NHS in spite of the government's clusterfuck, and if there is a spike later in the year then PPE and testing should all be in place. They surely couldn't fuck it up so badly twice!
https://funinlondon69.com/ www.adultwork.com/funinlondon69

We'll be back when all this shit is over!

No 30:1 ratios here! No cameras everywhere!
berthecert

Post by berthecert » Fri May 22, 2020 6:35 pm

How refreshing to get back to debating without being lambasted for your views. I totally agree with most of the comments and views expressed on this topic and certainly agree the government have been found wanting especially not implementing the lockdown earlier. As for tracking and isolation that would have been a mammoth job considering the amount of traffic involved not just by air. I expect a second wave of infection not helped by people deliberately ignoring the law and just hope they have learnt a few lessons from the initial one. I'm sure there will be a lot more survivors than those who have not but we'll manage. Times will certainly be harder financially and our social life will change dramatically but life will go on. The government is human as are scientists, boffins, intellectuals and they make mistakes, have we not also done the same. Incidentally I did not vote for them but would any other party have done better. The topic is punting and Covid19 but we seem to drifting away, me included , from it.
Cuntlover

Post by Cuntlover » Fri May 22, 2020 11:06 pm

In other countries if someone has symptoms of covid 19 then everyone who has been near that person must isolate and get tested and must wear a mask.

in this country it's almost do fuck all, get sick at home, no tracing, no testing for all, no mask required and only go to hospital if really ill, by which time it could be too late to save for some people.
punter1

Post by punter1 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:18 am

Cuntlover wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:06 pm
In other countries if someone has symptoms of covid 19 then everyone who has been near that person must isolate and get tested and must wear a mask.

in this country it's almost do fuck all, get sick at home, no tracing, no testing for all, no mask required and only go to hospital if really ill, by which time it could be too late to save for some people.
Whats the point wearing a mask to go to ASDA, it's useless. Some people wear a mask to walk down the street :lol:

Return to “Banter”